French Onion Soup
Makes 4 servings.
- 2lb medium onions, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 stick unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (1⁄2” thick) diagonal slices of baguette
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the onions
- Melt butter in a large pot.
- Add thyme, bay leaves, salt, and onions.
- Cook until soft and golden brown, stirring frequently (~45 minutes).
- Make the soup
- Add flour and cook while stirring (~1 minute).
- Add wine and cook while stirring (~2 minutes).
- Add broth, water, and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally (~30 minutes).
- Make the croutes
- While the soup simmers, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place bread on a backign sheet and toast, turning once, until completely dry (~15 minutes).
- Add provolone cheese on top and bake until melted (~3 minutes).
- Serve it
- Remove thyme and bay leaves from soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle on parmesan cheese.
- Place one croute in each bowl.