Makes 4 servings.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 1 quart beef stock
- salt, pepper, and fresh thyme leaves, to taste
- Cook the mushrooms
- Heat butter over medium head in a saucepan until it foams.
- Stir in mushrooms.
- Season with salt.
- Simmer until liquid evaporates (~20 minutes).
- Make the gravy
- Stir in the flour, cooking and stirring (~5 minutes).
- Add about 1 cup of beef stock, stirring briskly until incorporated, then pour in the remaining stock and mix thoroughly.
- Season with black pepper and thyme.
- Simmer until thickened, stirring ofter (~30 minutes).